Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Unprejudiced

The Word of the Day for October 1 is "unprejudiced."
unprejudiced: (adjective) Free from undue bias or preconceived opinions.

Synonym: impartial

Usage: I claim to be an absolutely unprejudiced witness.

Relevance to my life: I could have easily been considered an unprejudiced juror in one contentious local case going to trial last year because, in my depression, I had neither read the local newspapers nor turned on the news for some time except to catch the weather: I hadn't even heard of the crime. I was a defense team's dream.

What it is NOT: spelled like "unprejudice"  -
Don't forget the damned "d" at the end of the word, people! This is the past participle of the verb used as an adjective. If there were such a word as "unprejudice," it would be a noun.  Even then, it'd probably be wrong, since in English we generally use the un- prefix on adjectives and verbs. As always, there are exceptions. It is English after all. 

That doesn't change the fact that "unprejudice" is still not a word. If you're looking for a noun that means "unprejudice," the first one that pops into my head is "impartiality."

* Not a real word, though perhaps it ought to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment