Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Riposte

The Word of the Day for October 28 is "riposte."
riposte: (noun) A quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one).

Synonyms: comeback, counter, rejoinder, replication, retort, return

Usage: His sassy comment brought a sharp riposte from the teacher, and the shamed student's cheeks turned a deep crimson.

Relevance to my life: I'm usually pretty on target and timely with the snappy ripostes, but on occasion when I really do need to say something witty immediately, I am left speechless, until ten minutes later when the moment has passed. Oh, I hate that!

What it is NOT: "to post again" -
My constant editing screwed up the html formatting of my blog, so I had to riposte it. wrong






Comics' comebacks when dealing with hecklers are some of my favorite examples of ripostes. Some are witty, but most are the standard "STFU, you maggot-d*cked motherf***er," "Yo Mama" and grade-school type comments "I know you are but what am I," but I laugh at them because I am both child-like and childish.


Jimmy Carr and Heckler





George Carlin, His Potty Mouth and Some Random Heckler
"You gotta use psychology."



Richard Herring (I've never heard of him before) and Drunk



Joe Rogan appealing to the ever-popular vein of homophobia



Bill Maher and Assorted Others Deal With Hecklers



No comments:

Post a Comment