Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Monday, October 13, 2008

Intone

The Word of the Day for October 13 is "intone."
intone: (verb, transitive)
  1. To recite in a singing tone.
  2. To utter in a monotone.
(verb, intransitive)
  1. To speak with a singing tone or with a particular intonation.
  2. Music To sing a plainsong intonation.
Synonyms: cantillate, chant

Usage: I heard the eight singers of the King of Sicily intone the first verse of seven o'clock mass in the Sainte-Chapelle.

Relevance to my life: He intoned the litany of my faults as if he were a priest presiding over a Black Mass; until then, I had no idea I was so very evil. Look out world, She is come.

What is it NOT: "in tune*"
The choir was so poorly intone that I thought my ears might bleed from the discordant sounds. wrong

*If you don't like that one, give me suggestions for others. :)

Ok, here are some examples of songs, prayers, meditations, etc being intoned from various traditions:


Tibetan Buddhist Monks




Benedictine Monks





Tibetan Nuns





Jewish Cantor





Livestock Auctioneer




Square Dance Caller





Have a great day everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to my friends in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment