Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Frump

The Word of the Day for October 30 is "frump."
frump: (noun)
  1. A girl or a woman regarded as dull, plain, or unfashionable.
  2. A person regarded as colorless and primly sedate.
Synonym: dog

Usage: Her hairstyle had not changed since the early 1970s, and she did little to shed her reputation as a frump.

Relevance to my life: Like Toula in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," I went through a frump-girl phase which endures even now on some days, and even though photographic proof of it exists, thanks to people whom I later had to kill, I will be taking it to my grave.

Example from the movies: In "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," (@ the 4:10 mark on the first video clip below) Toula and Ian are on their first date when Ian recognizes her:
Ian: "I remember you. You're that waitress."
Toula: "Seating hostess, actually."
Ian: "I remember you."
Toula: "I was kind of going through a phase, up til... now. And, uh... I was frump-girl."

I love this movie. I'm not usually the hugest, gushing sort of fan of romantic comedies, but I love this one.

The scenes where Toula first meets Ian's parents and then when his parents meets he family made the s2bx and me laugh because we could relate: My family is small and WASP; his is large and Catholic. At dinner time at my parents' house, just like in the movie, you can hear the clink of cutlery on the plates.

The first time my parents met a good portion of his family came as sort of a surprise to them. Granted, there was no bacchanalia complete with a lamb roasting on a spit in the front yard, but it was large, loud and raucous, very un-WASP-like.



Frump-girl bit



Trailer



Some funny bits

No comments:

Post a Comment