Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dissonance

The Word of the Day for October 16 is "dissonance."
dissonance: (noun)
  1. A harsh, disagreeable combination of sounds; discord.
  2. Lack of agreement, consistency, or harmony; conflict
Synonyms: noise, racket

Usage: Maddening church bells of all degrees of dissonance, sharp and flat, cracked anad clear, fast and slow, made the brick-and-mortar echoes hideous.

Relevance to my life: With a devil whispering into my left ear, an angel into my right, the Voice of My Insecurities hemming and hawing in the background, and my ever-present Inner Critic passing judgment over everyone and everything, it can be difficult to maintain focus; sometimes the dissonance inside my head can be downright crazy-making.
I have such a headache. I don't know if it's the cacophony from inside my head or the lagers at last night's birthday/retirement party for my sister-in-law, but I think I need an Advil or four.

No comments:

Post a Comment