Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sundry

The Word of the Day for October 21 is "sundry."
sundry: (adjective) Consisting of a haphazard assortment of different kinds.

Synonyms: assorted, miscellaneous, mixed, motley

Usage: Walking-sticks, canes, baseball bats, and sundry other items stood in the umbrella stand next to the front door, but I could not find a single umbrella!

Relevance to my life: The food processor, crock pot, pie plates, rolling pin, and other sundry kitchen gadgets lying around my kitchen are proof that I am still elbow-deep in my cooking and baking phase.

or:

The sundry attacks directed at me for a fairly innocuous comment of mine shocked me with their presumptive arrogance, faulty logic and an undercurrent of sexist double standards.


What it is NOT: a kind of tomato - that adjectival form is sun-dried, as in sun-dried tomatoes.


You may see this word most often in the phrase "various and sundry," which, a good style manual will tell you, is a cliché, and not appropriate for formal writing.

I'm in a bit of a shitty mood, feeling hateful towards the random assortment of assholes out there, so here's the Asshole anthem:






Ok, I can't help but laugh whenever I hear Denis.



I know, I know, you unflappable types out there are saying, "Non illegitimati carbonundum," right?

If only I could brush them off that easily. I suppose it's time to practice the fine art of detachment. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment