Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Probity

The Word of the Day for September 30 is "probity."
probity: (noun) complete and confirmed integrity; uprightness; having strong moral integrity.

Synonyms: honesty, rectitude

Usage: In the political arena, where probity may not be widespread, he has always been held in high esteem by colleagues from both sides of the aisle as an honest and honorable man, often grudgingly admired for his legitimate, yet unstated, claim to the moral high ground.

Relevance to my life: I was surprised when, discussing my probity, B said that I had "a strong moral compass," since I often agonize over whether something really is "the right thing to do;" perhaps like so many other things, rightness, and even morality, are subjective and open to interpretation: one person's honorable hero is another's unprincipled scoundrel.

What it is NOT: anything to do with "probe," so get that out of your filthy little minds. No giggity-giggity-probity-probity, mmmkay?

I chose my own word of the day today, because the pre-selected one is cardiomegaly (n) "an enlarged heart."

I just can't have fun with that or make it relevant to my life. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough. Sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment