Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Colloquial

The Word of the Day for September 21 is "colloquial."
colloquial: (adjective) Characteristic of informal spoken language or conversation.

Synonyms: conversational

Usage: She wrote her essays in a colloquial style that the teacher strongly criticized.

Relevance to my life: My inner Militant Grammarian asserts that the phenomenon of text-speak, with its complete disregard for spelling conventions and grammar prescriptions, is a better example of impending illiteracy than it is of colloquial language.

Call me a language snob, but there it is. Needless to say, I don't text.

Hell, I only have a cell phone for emergencies anyway, and even when I do remember to take it with me, it's almost never turned on. I can't use it at home because my house still has all the original plaster and lath walls which, very conveniently, shield my house from all manner of spy satellites and other intelligence-gathering devices. It'd be quite handy if I were a terrorist.

As it is, it's just a nuisance, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment