Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Monitory

The Word of the Day for September 17 is "monitory."
monitory: (adjective) Conveying an admonition or a warning

Synonyms: admonitory, cautionary, exemplary, warning

Usage: She shot him a monitory glance* and he quickly changed the subject to one less controversial.

Relevance to my life: The worst part of my nightmare from the other night was the s2bx's shaking a monitory finger in my face as he spat out, "You've really done it now!" after he, his entire family and assembled friends thought that they'd caught me in flagrante delicto with a relative from the distaff side, when really, it was one of those colossal mistakes that form the basis of a sitcom episode.
*From my brief search this morning, it appears that the most frequent usage of "monitory" as defined above comes in pre-packaged phrases like: "shoot a monitory glance," "shake a monitory finger" or "make a monitory gesture."
 
I did see a few "monitory policy" examples, and since they were also associated with banking and economics I assumed that the writer meant "monetary." 

Then I noticed that a few of these sources were Indian and Pakistani, and possibly an example of that peculiarly sub-continent brand of English.

A side note: apparently one can not type "on  c l o s e r scrutiny" here. I think it confuses it with a Javascript command. Fucking Myspace, ruining my mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment