Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Unstudied

The Word of the Day for September 20 is "unstudied."
unstudied: (adjective) Not contrived for effect; natural.

Synonyms: uncontrived

Usage: She walked with an unstudied grace that the other models envied and imitated.

Relevance to my life: The unstudied ease with which the man whom I would later dub "The Player*" tossed off his lies was, in retrospect, amazing; if liars could receive Academy Awards for deception, then that bastard would walk home with twenty.
*My, isn't post-separation dating a fun venture.


A funny note about "unstudied:" In Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Bennett says to Mr. Collins:

"...it is happy for you that you posses the talent of flattering with delicacy. May I ask whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment or are they the result of careful study?"


to which Mr. Collins replies:

"They arise chiefly from what is passing at the time,and though I sometimes amuse myself with suggesting and arranging  such little elegant compliments as may be adapted to ordinary occasions, I always wish to give them as unstudied an air as possible."

I love it. I wonder how hard he practices to achieve that "unstudied air."

Ok, maybe I'm a dork for finding that hilarious, but Jane Austen was the queen of irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment