Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Congeal

The Word of the Day for September 27 is "congeal"
congeal: (verb) Become gelatinous.
(especially of blood, grease etc) to solidify when cooled*

Synonyms: jell, set

Usage: We waited patiently for the jello to congeal before cutting it into fun shapes with cookie cutters.

Relevance to my life: The turkey grease in the bottom of the roasting pan had already congealed into a shiny smear and the dirty dishes lay stacked in the sink, when a few slightly inebriated late-arrivals rang the doorbell just in time for my spicy pumpkin pie and homemade vanilla bean ice cream.

*Although it often has the meaning of something liquid solidifying, I have heard it used more figuratively in the sense of an idea settling, as in:

I tend to sit at the computer with a blank Word document blinking at me for a few minutes letting my thoughts congeal into something more coherent before launching into writing.

What it is NOT: I can't recall ever having heard this word misused; it's not terribly close in spelling or pronunciation to another word  (that I can think of) other than "congenial," and that one is relatively well-know so it's not likely to be abused, right? Right. Keep your ears alert, as will I. :)
Well, now I want pumpkin pie. Or even better, my pumpkin-swirl cheesecake with the pecan-ginger snap crust. *drool*

Who's stopping by for pie?

No comments:

Post a Comment