Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Friday, September 12, 2008

Disengage

The Word of the Day for September 12, 2008 is "disengage."

disengage: (verb) To release from something that holds fast, connects or entangles.

Synonym: withdraw

Usage:  Fiercely he strove to disengage his weapon, but Hordle John  bent his arm slowly back, until, with a sharp crack, like a breaking stave, it turned limp in his grasp. 

Now, for the all-new feature which every dictionary entry should include

Relevance to my life:  Gradually, over a course of years, Babs disengaged herself from friends, family and life in general until at last, the horrific stench of decomposing flesh wafting from her dark, shuttered house accompanied by a steady stream of stray dogs running through the front door, warned her neighbors that all was not right within, and prompted them to ask each other, "Does someone even live there now?" "I don't know. I thought she'd moved." "What was her name again?"*

I love run-on sentences with lots of commas.

That was too easy. I hope that tomorrow's WotD is "zymurgy."


*Note: Before anyone jumps ugly on me or rushes off to call a mental health professional, this is dark humor, not a suicide threat. No need to stage an intervention. Trust me, dark humor keeps me going. Well, that and Boodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment