Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hobgoblin

The Word of the Day for November 30 is "hobgoblin."
hobgoblin: (noun)
  1. An ugly, mischievous elf or goblin.
  2. An object or source of fear, dread, or harassment.
Synonym: bugbear

Usage: But this encompassment of her own characterization... was a sorry and mistaken creation of Tess's fancy-- a cloud of moral hobgoblins by which she was terrified without reason.

Relevance to my Life: The myriad nagging insecurities and personal demons who are my constant companions cluster in the forefront of my mind like a clutch of hobgoblins, ready to tear me down at will without warning.





I Want to Break Free (Queen)
My anthem







I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)
I ought to take this to heart






So now we find me sticking to my resolve, great. The problem is that that inevitably comes back to bite me on the ass. There are the times I stick with it, then there are the times when I ought to throw in towel. The problem I have is distinguishing between them.

I wonder, should I pull a George Costanza and simply start doing the opposite of what my instincts tell me? Thinking further, this just brings me to a new problem: maybe my true instincts have actually been right on the money and I just haven't been listening to them, instead opting for endless second-guessing until I don't know which is instinct, and which is insecurity.




The New George


No comments:

Post a Comment