Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Monday, November 17, 2008

Tangential

The Word of the Day for November 17 is "tangential."
tangential: (adjective)
  1. Of, relating to, or moving along or in the direction of a tangent.
  2. Merely touching or slightly connected.
  3. Only superficially relevant; divergent.
Synonym: digressive

Usage: His tangential anecdote added much-needed humor to the talk, though some found the digressions tiresome.

Relevance to my life: The tangential asides and video clips in my blogs only scratch the surface of my whacked-out train of thought, and may appear to be completely irrelevant to you, the Reader, but they make perfect sense if you can follow my bizarre stream of consciousness thought processes.
Alrighty, I can't think "tangential" without thinking "tangent" (you know, like in math), and I can't think about math without thinking about transcendental numbers, which brings me to everyone's favorite transcendental number, pi π.

It's also a movie by Darren Aronovsky. Whenever I watch it, it blows my mind a little more.







Also good is Life of Pi, which mentions pi the number only tangentially.

Photobucket


If you want a book about the history of π, I would suggest The History of Pi.

Photobucket


If you have geeky tendencies like I do, then this next March 14, let's get together and celebrate Pi Day


Pi Song




Finally, my favorite math-related images:


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



Oh my God, I laugh to the point of crying every single time I read those!


Have a great day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment