Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Energize

The Word of the Day for October 3 is "energize."

energize: (verb) To give energy to; activate or invigorate.

Synonyms: perk up, stimulate, arouse, brace

Usage: Coffee and tea energize me.

Relevance to my life: The positive feedback from the editor energized me to finish my half-written novel.


I often have trouble sustaining my level of motivation when it comes to my writing. I get caught-up in second-guessing myself, certain that every word I write is crap, poorly-placed among other crappy words.

When I find my motivation flagging, I often turn to Joyce Carol Oates. Reading her books and listening to her speak inspire me like nothing else. It is almost as if hearing her voice in her writing and her interviews makes my own voice clearer in my head.



Joyce Carol Oates on the thrill of writing

She talks about writing about people in extremis. Yes. This is what makes her writing, her stories so powerful. She writes about some of the worst experiences that people can ever face in their lives, yet she does so so beautifully and so tenderly.








Joyce Carol Oates discusses the craft of writing characters.


I can identify with her when she describes the first 6 weeks of writing a novel as being Hell. Sometimes I don't last as long as 6 weeks. It is a comfort to know that even such a prolific and talented writer as she still struggles as a part of the process.










Creative Quotations from Joyce Carol Oates


More quick inspiration to sustain and energize you.









And now, another struggling writer:


Sideways Trailer

Miles is a writer drowning in self-doubt and stymies by his past. A great movie, even if you don't like wine. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment