Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Unswerving

The Word of the Day for March 8 is "unswerving."
unswerving: (adjective) Firm and dependable especially in loyalty.

Synonyms: staunch, steadfast, constant, steady

Usage: Such characters do not elicit the joyous and unswerving devotion which Lavalle commanded throughout life.

Relevance to my life: I never expected unswerving allegiance from all of our joint friends, but I did not anticipate his gaining sole custody of most of them.


"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius"
Even as a slave, he garnered unswerving devotion. That's charisma, baby.








King Arthur on the Ice
Arthur, whether he was real or just a legend, also laid claim to charisma and loyalty. In "King Arthur," the battle on the ice against the Saxons is eerily similar to the scene in Eisenstein's "Aleksandr Nevsky" where the Teutoninc Knights fell through the ice.
Nevsky is a masterful bit of anti-German propaganda, and Kind Arthur is worth watching for Stellan Skarsgard as Cerdic the Saxon king..









"Arise, riders of Theoden!
This scene always gets me.
Of course, by the time I've reached this spot, I've been in a dark room, watching 8 hours of Lord of the Rings, so I'm already kind of shell-shocked and weepy. lol









And Justice for All
Not all epic battles require swords. This is one of the top endings of any film.




No comments:

Post a Comment