Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Monday, March 16, 2009

Astray

The Word of the Day for March 16 is "astray."

astray: (adverb) Far from the intended target.


Synonym: wide


Usage: A bullet went astray and struck an innocent bystander.


Relevance to my life: When I left high school I had definite plans for my life, and although they did include extensive travel, none of them involved divorce; on the other hand, none of these future fantasies included children, so my life going astray wasn't a total loss.




All We Like Sheep Have Gone Astray (Handel)

My kids think that they're singing "Oh we like sheep."








Oh Thou, That Tellest Good Tidings to Zion (Handel)

Another ditty from Handel's Messiah. This is my favorite aria, usually sung by an alto, but here performed by a countertenor. I love countertenors.







The Stoned Guest (PDQ Bach)

Speaking of countertenors...Peter Schickele's "PDQ Bach" wrote pieces for a bargain countertenor. Here is a bit from one of his classic recordings.

If he ever comes to a theater near you, run, don't walk to go see him!



No comments:

Post a Comment