Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Edifice

The Word of the Day for October 28 is "edifice."

edifice: (noun) A building, especially one of imposing appearance or size.

Synonyms: building

Usage: He had commenced his labors, in the first year of their residence, by erecting a tall, gaunt edifice of wood, with its gable toward the highway.

Relevance to My Life: The day we moved into my childhood home when I was 4 years old, what scared me the most wasn't the spider-infested basement or the creaky stairs, but the dark edifice of old wood in the backyard: the two-seater outhouse, which smelled rank and foul and coated me with cobwebs the minute I pulled open the door.




I can't think of "edifice" without thinking of places like Pemberley, Manderley, or Brideshead.



Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth at Pemberley



Many a gentlewoman's loins were moistened at the Mr. Darcy bathing scene in the shadow of Pemberley.

And wow, I can't believe I typed that with a straight face.










A Walk That Changes Perceptions


At long last, Elizabeth sees a different side of Mr. Darcy. Plus, you get a better look at Pemberley (Lyme Park)










Pride and Prejudice in 20 Minutes- Part 1


This is a pretty good P&P Primer, despite its being the Keira Knightly version, although I have to admit that this adaptation is growing on me.







Pride and Prejudice in 20 Minutes - Part 2









Rebecca


"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again... " the beginning to my favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie.

The building itself was like another character.








Brideshead Revisited


Another classic series in which a building plays a significant role.








Lunch With Sebastian


Probably one of my favorite scenes from the original Brideshead Revisited.



No comments:

Post a Comment