Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Voluminous

The Word of the Day for December 4 is "voluminous."

voluminous: (adjective)
  1. Large in number or quantity (especially of discourse)
  2. Having great volume, fullness, size, or number.
Synonym: copious

Usage; She took voluminous notes during the lecture, and her classmates begged for copies.

Relevance to my Life: So voluminous are the noisy crowds inside my head - my Inner Critic, the Voice of My Insecurities, Little Nag, Big Nag, and the Eternal Idealist, plus the right shoulder angel and her twisted twin, the left-shoulder devil, and last and sometimes least-heard, my own authentic voice, that sometimes I feel as though I should get them a room of their own somewhere.

Sometimes the noise is overwhelming and I want to shut it out. Other than pharmaceutical aids, the most effective means I've found of doing that is listening to the right kind of music. When I say "right kind," I'm not making a value judgment, I mean that some music will have the complete opposite effect than the one I intend. For example, if I am trying to forget someone (imagine that), then listening to music he likes a lot is not going to be a great help. Sad love songs? Um, no thanks. Even angry "I hate you" songs, which may provide a bit of grim satisfaction, are not helpful.

Once again, Music Geek strikes. If music's charms are to soothe the savage breast, for me, it'll probably be classical or baroque. Again.





9th Symphony Therapy
It really is hard to feel sad/pissed/whatever for long with this on my headphones.




Cont'






Miserere (Henryk Gorecki)
This is just an excerpt of the piece which runs about 30 minutes long. The first time I heard this I was sitting in my car in the parking lot eating my lunch in between classes. It starts out with the 1st basses singing a simple melodic line, repeating Domine Deus over and over; gradually the other voice parts enter, until it builds to the point where it's too large to fit in a concert hall.
Anyway, I was in the car listening to this and it started to rain, just a drop at a time, then more heavily. I watched the raindrops slide down the windshield, finally merging into a clear sheet of water, while the windows were buzzing from the music. It's hard to describe - it was wonderful and trippy at the same time.





Bach Concerto BWV 1056, 2nd mvmt
There are a lot of versions of this. There's a beautiful arrangement for cello and piano which I'm trying to track down, but in the meantime, enjoy.






Bach Arioso for Cello
I found it. Yay.


No comments:

Post a Comment